Have a bit of free time this Spring Break? Get ahead with our CCO Spring Break Career To-Do List! Find current tips & trends on where to look for jobs or internships, self-improvement and career development all in one place!
Internship/ Job Search Checklist
- Register now for the BIG10 Virtual Career Fair that takes place April 12th, and/or the Just in Time Job Fair happening on Thursday April 13th!
- Log onto my CCO and strive to spend a half hour exploring opportunities! Follow this step-by-step blog on how to use it.
- Search for internships on Indiana Intern: A great spot to connect with Indiana employers for internships
- Find jobs categorized by major: The career wiki divides up jobs and career opportunities by major, and this source also lists job search engines and professional associations related to your field.
- Check out Glassdoor, and read up on it’s benefits over other job search engines
- View this additional list of resources to research internship opportunities such as community service learning, co-op’s, internships, and part time local employment.
- Create an action plan with goals and deadlines for your internship/job search process.
- Join a professional organization at the student rate. Professional associations allow you to learn more about career paths in your field, access salary data, attend conferences, but most importantly- get you connected to professionals in your field.
- Update your Linkedin profile. Add in projects, awards and clubs. Make a goal to connect and follow up with 10 new contacts each month. Refer to our Linkedin bootcamp blog series for tips, and join our network!
- Utilize social media to connect with professionals in your area of interest. Read blogs or articles in areas that pertain to your field and contribute to the conversation.
- Watch this free (normally $45) video series on how to stop procrastination and double your productivity.
Career Development Checklist
- Schedule an informational interview: Informational interviewing is a 10–30 minute phone or in person conversation that YOU conduct with someone working in a position or field that interests you.
- Not sure if you’re in the right major? Unsure of what careers you can do after graduating? Explore the CCO Career Compass.
- Plan to come to one of many career fairs happening this spring on-campus and virtually. To see the recruitment schedule, view our CCO Calendar.
- Educate yourself on salary information and job outlook in your field. Get up-to-date with salary, companies that have hired Purdue grads, and where Purdue students are going in each major and college with our interactive Data Dashboard.
- Watch our Career Spots Videos: A collection by the CCO of over 10 different short videos covering topics such as Resumes & Cover Letters, Networking & Your Personal Brand, Internships, Interview tips and Dress, Salary & Negotiation and Social Media & Job Search.
- Amp up your resume: We have an entire blog series dedicated to providing you with various ways to improve your resume. Once you’ve made changes, don’t forget to drop by the CCO for a resume review!
- Scan through our Career-Planning handbook that’s chalk full of resources, advice, resume templates and more.
You completely deserve a break from running to classes and late study nights, but squeezing in a few of these tasks in your downtime can make all of the difference to help you finish off 2nd semester strong! Know that the CCO is always here to help- stop by YOUNG 132 and note that starting on Monday 3/20 our drop in hours will now be 12-4pm M-F.