Doctoral students at Purdue, have you begun exploring your post-PhD options?
One of the resources* to help you explore careers beyond academia is The Versatile PhD [VPhD], and The Graduate School and Center for Career Opportunities [CCO] are now offering you access to this wonderful resource! [Scroll down to see how you can sign up.]
VPhD is an online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs in the humanities, social sciences, and STEM fields. Purdue’s membership gives students access to:
- Hiring Success Stories: these are detailed narratives about how individuals got a certain job, including information about their interview and the actual CV or resume and cover letter used for their successful job application.
- supportive and confidential discussion forums (including virtual panels of post-academic professionals)
- networking opportunities with graduate students and professionals (the Power Search is an advanced search option)
- local meetups of VPhD users
- access to social media platforms such as Twitter <@VersatilePhD> and LinkedIn <Versatile PhD>
So, how do you sign up? Easy.
- Click here to sign up for your very own myCCO account (this is the CCO’s online jobs portal). All you need is your PUID.
- Log into myCCO, and find the VPhD link on your myCCO Desktop. [Look in the Shortcuts menu on the bottom right of the page.]
- Click on the link to be redirected to the VersatilePhD.com website, where you can create your account. Click the “JOIN NOW” button to register.
- You will be taken to a registration page when you click the “JOIN NOW” button. This is where you will enter information in order for VPhD to connect you to your institutional membership, and thus allow you access to the subscription-only resources. After you have completed this step, you’re ready to use this resource!
Any questions about setting up your myCCO account? Email <askCCO@purdue.edu>
Any questions about The Versatile PhD? Email <email@example.com>
*The CCO is another great resource on campus. We look forward to working with you on your career and professional development; reach out to us!
Graduate students & postdocs: Follow @GradProfCareers for career exploration & professional development resources.